The first week of Advent also marks the first week of the new Liturgical Year in the Catholic Church. This week, the Church moves its focus from the Gospel of Luke to the Gospel According to Matthew. During the rest of the calendar year and into 2020, Catholics will hear Matthew’s account of the mission and teachings of Jesus Christ.
With the excitement of Advent and Christmas, the significance of this shift may be missed by your students. Here are some resources that may be of help:
- Good News: An Advent Calendar
- Venture: What Is Advent?
- Visions: Five Saints of Advent
- Family-Parents: Prayer Service – First Sunday of Advent
- Family-Parents: First Sunday of Advent
More Advent Resources
- Check out the Advent resources collected by the Catholic Apostolate Center. The short video “Advent in 2 minutes” would be great to share with your class and families.
- The Norbertine Fathers of St. Michael’s Abbey offer a digital Advent calendar. Use this resource for your own daily reflection or for sharing with your class.
Image credit: Romolo Tavini/Shutterstock.com