Thursday, October 7 is the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary. The rosary is one of many sacramentals—a blessing, action, or object that reminds us of Christ’s presence with us and his care for us. Learn more about sacramentals here and share this handout with families. You might encourage catechists and families to include a variety of sacramentals in their classrooms or homes. A great place for a family to start incorporating the sacramental of blessing in their daily routines is explained in “Good for the Family: The practice of blessing” by Eileen Morgan.
Since the Rosary is both an object and a prayer, it could be said that praying the Rosary is a double sacramental. Learn more about the Rosary by watching and reading these resources:
- Catholic Central presents “The Rosary” (6-min. video)
- “Not Your Average Living Rosary” by Lisanne Jensen
- “Living the Liturgical Year: Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary” by Connie Clark
- “Using Visual Symbols to Teach the Mysteries of the Rosary” by Michele Smith
- “The Rosary: Meditating on the Mysteries of Faith” by Jeanne Heiberg
Image credit: Corinne SIMON/CIRIC